This position will be responsible for administering payroll for approximately 600 building service employees who are members of 32BJ. The Payroll Specialist will ensure that union agreements are adhered to as they relate to paid time off categories and voluntary deductions, reduce risk of penalties and fees, and ensure that building employees receive correct pay every week.
Payroll Processing & Maintenance Functions:
- Assist in weekly payroll processing in a timely and accurate manner.
- Manually compile, reconcile, and enter weekly payroll, post wages, and reconcile errors using an ADP Workforce Now payroll system.
- Research and enter adjustments for paid/unpaid time-off.
- Maintain an accurate payroll system with all new employees, terminations, salary adjustments, changes to deductions or garnishments, and tax status.
- Enter all deductions, including garnishments.
- Create chargeback (reimbursement) statements for various properties/owners.
- Enter 401k, union dues, political action funds, and other deductions.
- Act as liaison with managers, employees, and auditors in order to resolve routine and simple issues and questions.
- Receive, sort, distribute, and respond to payroll correspondence (US Mail or e-mail).
- Distribute paychecks and timesheets.
- Maintain and update payroll files; including filing active employees and scanning terminated records.
- Complete requests for verification of employment.
- Respond to notices, e.g., unemployment benefits claims, IRS tax notices.
- Create and run reports as requested.
- Answer calls and inquires; provide assistance when able or direct inquires to appropriate person/department.
Employees may be required to perform additional duties as needed and requested.
|Qualifications and Competencies:
- Minimum 2 years’ experience with data entry or a college degree in finance/management or HR.
- Experience using ADP’s Workforce Now payroll system as well as e-Time & Attendance; capable of processing a large volume of work.
- Knowledge of Federal and State tax filing requirements a plus.
- Experience with unions preferable Local 32BJ.
- Solid data entry skills and proficiency with MS Office system, especially Excel.
- Work experience that required organized work in a multi-task environment and demonstrated exceptional attention to detail.
- Manage multiple priorities using time management skills and being flexible to meet changing requirements while controlling costs.
- Builds a team relationship with the Human Resources Manager, Building Services, the Senior Payroll Representative and Building Management, sharing information and knowledge that can have an impact on the Payroll Department.
- Displays conflict resolution skills while dealing with upset/difficult building employees while adhering to policies and procedures.
- Communicates important information about work status to supervisor and building management in a timely manner.
- Displays confidence, integrity and dependability with others.
- Displays highly skilled computer and software skills.